Ten Steps to becoming an author

Have you ever thought about writing a book?  
 
     It started two years ago. The thought of putting my ideas and knowledge into a book so I can share my bit of Wellness Wisdom with the world. And it is still in progress. Funny how I thought this was going to be a fast process. Every time I sit down and write, more and more information reveals itself making this the longest journey I have ever embarked on. During this time the project has changed form several times; in my head and on paper. New title, new additions to the outline, new ways of presenting information and new information all together. Often I ask myself if this will ever come into a final form? On a daily basis I am bombarded with ideas on how to share my experiences and what to write. My project folder is so full with notes, annotations and tidbits of inspiration that it is about to burst. Yet, there seems to be no seemingly organized way of putting it all together into a book yet.  
     Part of this project is a Mediterranean style cookbook. It is a short introduction into what I have found to be a way to keep oneself healthy though some simple, yet nutritious ways of preparing food for ourselves and our families. My husband and I have been teaching cooking classes and have been engaging in commercial catering for some time now and we are always asked the same question: where can one get good Greek/Mediterranean food? Or, can you share some of your recipes?  So here it is in the form of a mini cookbook - soon to be released - a beginners guide so to speak into the Mediterranean culture and some of the most often requested recipes. Included is some information on the staples of the Greek culture that I grew up with. Born and raised in Greece has shaped the way I approach food and nutrition. It has long been said that the Mediterranean diet is very supportive of a healthy body and mind so through this book I share some key information and recipes that I believe will help you on the path to stay healthy and strong and enjoy some delicious foods. On another note, in the last thirty years, my life has been greatly influenced by Ayurvedic principles as well. One of the world's oldest whole body healing systems is based on the knowledge of keeping the body nourished and healthy instead of dealing with the aftermath of dis-ease.  On that note, each recipe is also noted as Vegetarian or Gluten Free, and what season it is best offered in. Following the notion of cooking foods with ingredients that are fresh and grown within that season, in just a glance you will know what time of the year it will be best to use that recipe. Thus I hope to guide you in using ingredients that are at their prime nutritional time and helping your body benefit from this natural timing. 
     Right now this e-cookbook is in the hands of trusted family and friends trying out the recipes and content for feedback. I am so grateful for those "angels" out there that have offered to play around in their kitchen and explore the information presented in this cookbook.  
So, the project is on going and I hope to share this with you very soon. Even it it is in several versions or chapters as the information unfolds.  
     The road to expressing this knowledge and bringing it together into a cohesive program has not been easy. But it has been essential in birthing the creativity that has been lying dormant in me for years. The process begins with just the thought of putting your ideas on paper. And then the personal intention of letting it unfold. Perhaps sharing your idea with some family and close friends.  So far here are ten steps I have identified in writing my book and I hope they can be inspiring for you as well to start writing your own.
  1.  Identify your idea 
  2.  Outline - what is your book about and how does it unfold
  3.  Content - List your experiences to back it up or do your research to base your information on
  4.  Schedule your writing time on your calendar - this has been one of the most essential parts - if you don't put it on your schedule chances are you'll keep forgetting or putting off time to write.
  5.  Deadline - Set a time frame you want it finished by. This can be a soft or hard deadline depending on your project.
  6.  Revise and organize your writings.  
  7.  Edit - you can hire a professional if it's in your budget and also ask friends and family to skim through it.
  8.  Revise your intro - make sure it fits your content now that it is in place.
  9.  Meet guidelines - what are your publisher's requirements?
  10. If at first you don't succeed, try and try again. Nowadays it seems to be easier to self publish. If you run into rejection change direction and try again.
     By no means do I consider myself a professional writer, but who is until they start writing? I hope that by sharing this I can inspire you to begin your own journey into writing even if it seems daunting at first. If you have some burning desire to share your experiences with the world honor yourself and share it. As you can see from my experience it can be something that takes time to unfold. Or you might be so inspired to write an entire book in one sitting. You won't know until you try. All I can tell you is, it is addictive! Once you start the information starts flowing.
I wish you clarity and joy in self expression in your endeavors.   
  
  
Here's to you!
Corinna  

Comments