Is Lemon Water good for you?

Is Lemon Water good for you?

Chances are we have talked about lemon water in a session or two. Or while out at lunch as I love to add lemon to my water even when I go out to eat. Lemon water is very simple to make and is so very good for your body. At least that is my belief and some studies support that. Besides the yummy, citrus taste that it lends to my water there are a few things that I have discovered over the years that certainly ring true to my ear, and my body.

  • When I doctor up my water with lemon not only do I enjoy its flavor but I also drink more of it. I will often leave my washed lemon half in my glass to let the water absorb the peel and fruit elements. It makes my water a little cloudy and very tasty. So regular hydration throughout the day is a plus here.  I even add it to my stainless steel water bottle when I leave my office. (If you have a plastic water bottle I would not recommend it as it might alleviate the taste and quality).
  • Lemon also helps your body stay less acidic and balances your pH. An acidic body is a breeding ground for disease. According to some sources the miraculous work of highly alkaline foods, including the sour tasting acidic nature of lemon, can restore acid to its normal level. Since it leaves alkaline ash after being digested, it causes the blood cells to function well. Alkaline ash is found in lemon as the result of digestion. So there you have it - lemon will help you stay alkaline.
  • As you probably gathered from the note above, lemon water is also beneficial to digestion. I like my lemon water either warm or room temperature as it helps me begin my day. Ever since I started learning about Ayurvedic traditions and health elements over 25 years ago, lemon water is what I drink first thing in the morning to get my digestion going. I feel like it is cleansing and detoxifying.
  • Lemons are rich in vitamin C. And as research proves vitamin C may reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease and stroke, and lower blood pressure. It can also help your immune system become stronger and resist diseases and hence get over a cold faster. The juice from a whole lemon yields just 21mg of vitamin C which is a third of the vitamin C RDA, although many believe that the RDA has been set far too low.
  • And wouldn't you know it, lemon juice also supports weight loss.  I could not think of a tastier way to loose some fat pockets. It seems that the antioxidants present in lemons help dissolve fat according to studies conducted in laboratories. Of course having a good, healthy diet is the best way to support your system and stay healthy, but lemon might help you shape those stubborn areas around your body and keep arteries clean from the inside out.
  • And yes, lemon water also supports the healing of gout and it helps rid the body of acidity as it strengthens the immune system. It also a blood purifier and help the liver detox  . Of course continue with any advise your medical doctor may have prescribed.
  • A remedy that I have had to use before is lemon water for kidney cleansing. When faced with the excruciating pain of kidney inflammation and the presence of kidney stones, lemon water was one of the remedies that I followed throughout the episode. Of course drinking plenty of water also helps. It helps flush the kidneys and also helps dissolve the stones although there was plenty of other herbal remedies, teas and yoga poses that helped support the process of allowing my body to heal the inflammation and release the stones.
  • Ah, yes; better than gum. Lemon water can help keep your breath fresh. Lemons are good hygiene for the mouth although I would not recommend eating a raw lemon as it tends to erode the enamel from your teeth and make your gums really sensitive. Some squeezed lemon in your water however, can help keep your mouth clear after meals, and after sweets.
  • Here's a cool trick. Do you cook artichokes? If you have ever prepared artichokes for a dish you know how nasty green/brown your finger become while you clean these veggies. Well adding lemon juice to the bowl of water where you keep the artichokes until cooking will keep them from turning brown and then take the half and squeezed out lemon and rub your fingers with it. Don't be shy; get in there and get your fingers all lemony. Lemon will clean you hands really well! It also works really well on any kind of bad smell that might be stuck in your hands.

While I prefer warm/hot water for my lemon concoction I don't always get to do that. Hot water according to Ayurveda helps clear the "ama" in the body. (The mucus or stickiness or toxic byproduct of digestion.) So it is always extra beneficial when you can sip some hot water with lemon.
Otherwise 8 oz of purified, filtered room temperature water will do. Always use fresh lemons, organic if you prefer, and squeeze on the spot. The enzymes and vitamins tend to get lost if you leave the juice sitting for more than 20 minutes so this should be for immediate consumption.
Take 1/2 a lemon's juice and add to your water. You can add the washed 1/2 lemon peel into your glass if you like. You can also add extra herbs or sweeteners to it (mint, ginger, maple syrup), although plain is preferred.

Whichever way you choose to have your drink I know you will enjoy its freshness and its benefits.
To your health!
Corinna ♥




Comments